The BEST program prepares students for new “green-collar jobs” in sustainable building, energy efficiency auditing, and renewable energy. The marketplace for “green jobs” is expanding exponentially as states, municipalities, companies and homeowners adopt more sustainable technologies. McGraw Hill expects the building retrofit market to quadruple in five years.
The State of CT is poised to lead the nation in energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies. The new created Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP), and the first comprehensive energy bill in CT in four years, set new goals to accelerate and expand energy efficiency and renewable energy programs in CT. Governor Malloy has said he wants CT to be #1 in the nation in energy efficiency. This is a key component of the Governor’s job-creation plan.
The BEST program prepares students for jobs in this expanding field. Students in BEST study climate change, the latest sustainable building techniques, computer modeling, diagnosing and increasing the energy efficiency, health and safety of existing homes and buildings, and various new energy sources. Students conduct hands-on energy audits, and recommend measures to improve energy efficiency. Our Auditing course prepares students for the BPI Building Analyst Certification exams and the RESNET Home Energy Rating System (HERS) Certification exams, both nationally recognized accreditations.
The BEST certificate consists of 8 courses and 26 undergraduate credits. The entire program can be completed in as little as two semesters. Job placement assistance is included as students near completion of the program. Workforce Investment grants and other financial aid is available to qualified students.
Upon successful completion of all program requirements, graduates will be able to:
- Be familiar with building materials and methods of construction
- Be able to read and interpret blueprints
- Have proper communication skills in written and spoken language
- Understand and recommend the best strategies to achieve sustainable, energy efficient, safe and healthy homes and buildings
- Perform audits of energy use in residential structures
- Size simple beams and framing members
- Make recommendations on lowering the energy usage
- Advise on the cost effective use of renewable energy sources
For additional information about the BEST Program, contact Eric Gribin at: email@example.com or call (203) 857-7345.