Create your future @ NCC

Financial Aid FAQ


How can I register online with Financial Aid?

Yes you can register online, however there is a specific way for each semester:

For Fall: of any given year you can register online, however your FAFSA must be our system and ALL documents must be received BEFORE you can be issued a Pending Letter. A Pending Letter will be given to you over the counter at the Financial Aid Office to read and sign. You will than be instructed to take it to the Business Office to hold your courses for Fall. The Pending letters are issued so students can use their aid before it becomes available. Financial Aid is awarded July 1 of any given year and ends June 30 of any given year.


For Spring: you can register online as long as you are making Satisfactory Academic Progress for the Fall semester. Once you register online you must print out your web registration and bring it the Business Office to finalize your registration. If you were given a Waiver for the Fall semester because you were not making Satisfactory Academic Progress, you are not eligible to register until you Fall final grades are posted for ALL students at NCC.


What if I cannot finalize my Financial Aid with the Business Office like the Pending Letter asks?


The pending letter states " After July 1 when I am notified f my award for 2014-2015, I will go to the Business Office to finalize my registration" Since July 1st is the Friday before the July 4th holiday, Financial Aid students will be required to come to the BUSINESS OFFICE to finalize your Financial Aid for 2014-2015. If you cannot go to the Business Office in person, someone else may go on your behalf. HOWEVER, if there is a problem with your Financial aid the student must be present or if the student signed a release form in the Financial Aid Office, those listed can have access to act on their behalf.

When should I apply for Financial Aid? Is there a deadline to apply for Financial Aid?

You should apply for Financial Aid for the next academic year as soon as you file your income taxes with the IRS. For example is your planning on taking classes at NCC for 2014-2015 Academic Year; you should be applying for Financial Aid in January, February and March of 2014 using your 2013 Tax Return. You can come into the Financial Aid Office Monday - Thursday from 8:30AM - 5:00Pm or Fridays from 8:30AM - 4:00PM and use one of our computers to apply for Financial Aid or use your home computer to apply by going to using your and a parents PIN; if you require your parents signature on the FAFSA. There is no deadline for applying for Financial Aid, however, money is awarded on a first come first serve basis. You should follow the below dates as a guideline to when you should apply:

  • Returning Student: January 1- April 15*
  • New Students: January 1 - July 1*

*If you apply for Financial Aid after these dates; remember Financial Aid is awarded on a First Come First Serve Basis.

What is a PIN (Personal Identification Number) and How do I get one?

A PIN or Personal Identification Number is a four digit number assigned to you by the Federal Government in order to "sign" your FAFSA form online. If you are a dependent student ( under the age of 24 and live with a parent or guardian) your parent or guardian must have a PIN number too. If you do not have a PIN or have lost your PIN go to If you need a PIN for the first time go to the "Apply for a PIN" box on the right hand side of the page and click "apply now" button. If you have lost your PIN you select "Request a Duplicate PIN" link on the left hand side of the page.

I applied for Financial Aid once do I have to apply again?

Each new academic year you must apply for Financial Aid online at .

What is an Academic Year at NCC?

An Academic Year at NCC is broken into Fall and Spring semesters; for example: The 2014-2015 Academic year is Fall 2014 which started in September 2014 and ends December 2014. Spring 2015 starts in January 2015 and will end in May 2015. If you are planning on attending the next Academic Year which is 2012-2013 you must use your 2011 Tax Returns and apply again for Financial Aid at

What does Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) mean? Where can I get more information about about SAP?

Satisfactory Academic Progress(SAP) is how the Financial Aid Office monitors your progress towards completion of degree or certificate. Any student receiving Federal Title IV (PELL, FSEOG) or other Financial Aid is subject to SAP. Please click here for the full Satisfactory Academic Policies Satisfactory Academic Policies

What is Norwalk Community College's School Code?

NCC's School code for the FAFSA is 001399, please enter this code on your FAFSA application when you apply for Financial Aid.

What do I do if I need to drop a classes and I have Financial Aid?

If Financial Aid paying for your classes you must check with your Financial Aid Counselor first before dropping classes. Failure to do so can result in you paying back all or a portion of your Financial Aid back to NCC and/or the United States Department of Education. If you have any questions about who your Financial Aid Counselor is please go to Contact Us for a list of Financial Aid Staff members and their phone numbers and email addresses.

How does Financial Aid Send me Information about my Award?

You are notified about your Financial Aid award and status by email. The email you entered on your NCC application NOT the FAFSA application is the email used to communicate with you. If you have changed your email address, mailing address, and telephone number please go to the Records Office to up-date your information.