Create your future @ NCC


Financial Aid Office

important information on repayment of federal grants

Pell and SEOG Grants are federal student aid funds. These programs have policies that require students who withdraw completely from a semester to repay Pell and SEOG back to the federal government. All students need to be aware of how Norwalk Community College implements these requirements.

  • This policy affects ONLY students who completely withdraw from a semester. Complete withdrawal means dropping (officially or unofficially) from ALL your classes in a semester. If you stay enrolled in and complete at least ONE course, this policy does not apply.
  • When a  student receives Pell and/or SEOG and completely withdraws, they are considered to have "earned" a portion of their Grants equal to the percentage of the semester they completed; for example:  If you withdraw from classes after 25% of the semester, you have "earned" 25% of your Pell and/or SEOG Grants for that semester.
  • Norwalk runs weekly reports to see which students have withdrawn and may be subject to this requirement. We then inform these students in writing of what they need to do. In some cases, student have to repay grant funds to the federal government. Norwalk generally has to repay funds as well.
  • If you withdraw after "earning" 60% (or more) of the semester, you are considered to have "earned" ALL you federal grant funds for the semester. No repayment is necessary.
  • If you stay officially enrolled in courses, but do not earn credit for any of them, you may be considered an "unofficial withdraw." At the end of the semester, Norwalk runs a report to indentify possible "unofficial withdrawals."  We then contact these students in writing as to what they need to do next.
  • As explained above, if you have to withdraw from all your classes, it is in your interest to wait until after the 60% point of the semester has passed. If you attend at least 60% of the semester BEFORE withdrawing from ALL your classes you will NOT be required to repay the federal grants. Please note that withdrawing from ALL your classes after the 60% date has passed will still count towards your Satisfactory Academic Progress here at NCC and may change your eligibility for the coming semester. You are in charge of checking your NCC email address and your mycomment account for communications from the Financial Aid Office.
  • This policy does not affect College Work Study earnings. For federal student loans, the usual loan terms apply: changing enrollment status to less then half-time (less than 6 credits) places the borrower in grace pr repayment status.
  • If you did not receive all of the funds that you earned prior to your date of withdrawal, you may be due a Post-withdrawal Disbursement. If your Post-withdrawal Disbursement includes loan funds, Norwalk Community College must get your permission before it can disburse the funds. You may choose to decline some or all of the loan funds so that you do not incur any additional debt. Norwalk Community College may automatically use all or a portion of your Post-withdrawal Disbursement grant funds for tuition, fees, and book charges. If you have any questions about this policy, please email or call 203-857-7023.